Friday 5 December 2014

Book Beginnings On Fridays (Still Alice)

Book Beginnings on Fridays is hosted by Rose City Reader and as she says the idea of this meme is for you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name. There's a linky list on the website and you can use #BookBeginnings on Twitter.

 

This week my book beginning is Still Alice by Lisa Genova. I haven't been in much of a reading mood recently but decided to give this a go as it's been on my shelf for a while. I'm pleased to say I'm really enjoying it, as soon as I started Still Alice I could tell it was going to be good, my love of reading is now back.

 

Alice sat at her desk in their bedroom distracted by the sounds of John racing through each of the rooms on the first floor. She needed to finish her peer review of a paper submitted to the Journal of Cognitive Psychology before her flight, and she's just read the same sentence three times without comprehending it.

 

Still Alice 

Book Description:
 
When Alice finds herself in the rapidly downward spiral of Alzheimer's Disease she is just fifty years old. A university professor, wife, and mother of three, she still has books to write, places to see, grandchildren to meet. But when she can't remember how to make her famous Christmas pudding, when she gets lost in her own back yard, when she fails to recognise her actress daughter after a superb performance, she comes up with a plan. But can she see it through? Should she see it through? Losing her yesterdays, living for each day, her short-term memory is hanging on by a couple of frayed threads.

But she is still Alic
e.
 

4 comments:

  1. I loved this one! And the cover on your copy is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “WALKING ON TRAMPOLINES”

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like it could be a sad but meaningful story and one I would enjoy. I'm glad your love of reading is back!
    My Friday post features HIDE IN PLAIN SIGHT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard great things about this one. The premise sounds like reading my own personal nightmare so I'm a little hesitant on it. Hoe you're enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.