Friday 4 July 2014

Book Beginnings On Fridays (The First Fifteen Lives Of Harry August by Claire North)

Book Beginnings on Fridays is hosted by Rose City Reader and as she says the idea of this meme is for you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name. There's a linky list on the website and you can use #BookBeginnings on Twitter.

 

The First Fifteen Lives Of Harry August by Claire North

 

The second cataclysm began in my eleventh life, in 1996. I was dying my usual death, slipping away in a warm morphine haze, which she interrupted like an ice cube down my spine.

 

The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August  

 

Book Description:


  Harry August is on his deathbed. Again.

Every time Harry dies, he is reborn in exactly the same time and place, a child with all the knowledge of a life he has already lived a dozen times before.

No matter what he does or the decisions he makes, when death comes, Harry always returns to where he began, and nothing ever changes. He only knows that there are others like him, living with but apart from the rest of us.

As Harry nears the end of his eleventh life, a little girl appears at his bedside. 'I nearly missed you, Doctor August,' she says. 'I need to send a message. It has come down from child to adult, child to adult, passed back through generations from a thousand years forward in time. The message is that the world is ending, and we cannot prevent it. So now it's up to you.'

This is the story of what Harry August does next - and what he did before - and how he tries to save a past he cannot change and a future he cannot allow.
 

 

 

 

6 comments:

  1. I read this book and I didn't really like it, mainly because I think there's hardly any author out there who really managed to introduce time travelling of some kind into their stories without it messing up the whole plot! Although 'First Fifteen Lives' was quite exciting, I just wasn't too sure about it! I hope you enjoy it though! North's writing style is really nice! Thanks for sharing :) I hope you have a great weekend!
    My Friday post
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Juli

      I'm now almost 30% in and know what you mean. It's okay but not as good as I was expecting it to be. I'm determined to finish it but it's starting to feel like a chore.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds different...not sure I would read it, but thanks for sharing. I hope it is enjoyable for you.

    I do like the cover...interesting. I am a cover nut. :)

    Have a good day.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of this book, but I can see how it would be hard to pull off. I do like the description in the second sentence: "like an ice cube down my spine."
    Here's the link to my Friday post: SIX MONTHS IN MONTANA.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The concept definitely has potential and I like the writing. It's too bad you're not enjoying it as much as expected. Time travel is a challenging concept I think for the writer as well for me as a reader to wrap my head around. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.