Saturday 1 February 2014

Someone Else's Skin by Sarah Hilary

Someone Else's Skin

Detective Inspector Marnie Rome and Detective Sergeant Noah Jake are investigating a crime and visiting a women's refuge to interview one of the residents. What they discover when they arrive is a man lying seriously injured on the floor, he's been stabbed and is the husband of one of the women. Suddenly Marnie and Noah are in charge of a complex investigation and one that soon spirals out of control.

 

As well as a couple of storylines concerning the refuge there is also one from Marnie's past when she suffered a devastating loss to a violent act. Despite it being very well written, I found all the different parts of the story made it a little difficult for me to get into the book properly to begin with and I wasn't sure where it was all going. Around half way through though the story accelerated and became much more interesting for me. The book has plenty of short chapters to keep you reading as well as twists and turns. I thought I was being very clever having worked one of them out only to be surprised again.

 

This is the authors first novel and it is an impressive debut. Despite my early reservations I did like the characters of Marnie and Noah and I'm hoping that this will be the start of a series, I would like to discover more about the pair of them.

 

I received a copy of this from Netgalley in return for an honest review.

 

Rating: 3.5 out of 5 

 

Publication date: 27th February 2014 by Headline

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.