Friday 17 January 2014

Book Beginnings On Fridays (Clever Girl)

Book Beginnings on Fridays is hosted by Rose City Reader and as she says the idea of this meme is for you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name. There's a linky list on the website and you can use #BookBeginnings on Twitter.

 

My book beginning is Clever Girl by Tessa Hadley. I've never read anything by this author before but saw this book mentioned on another blog last week, it looked like one I would enjoy and I am.


My mother and I lived alone. My father was supposed to be dead, and I only found out years later that he'd left, walked out when I was eighteen months old.

 

Clever Girl

  

Book Description:

All the qualities that readers praised in The London Train are present in Clever Girl, Tessa Hadley's brilliant new novel. It follows the story of Stella, from her childhood as the daughter of a single mother in a Bristol bedsit in the 1960s into the mysterious shallows of her middle age. The story is full of drama - violent deaths, an abrupt end to Stella's schooldays, two sons by different fathers who aren't around to see the boys grow up - but as ever it is her observation of ordinary lives, of the way men and women think and feel and relate to one another, that dazzles. Yes, you think. This is how it is.
 

 

 

 

 

 

6 comments:

  1. This sounds good to me. I would definitely pick it up!

    Here is my post

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished this one! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Thanks for sharing...and here's MY FRIDAY POST

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen this book about a bit too - it certainly sounds interesting. I hope you enjoy!
    :-)
    Bits & Bobs

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like books that span a space of years, so this sounds like a story I'd enjoy. Good beginning!
    Here's the link to my Friday post: BETWEEN LONESOME AND TEXAS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw this on a few blogs the past couple of weeks.

    It sounds quite good....thanks for sharing.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a very good book beginning! It immediately makes me curious what happened with her father. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.